Skip to content

Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

HVAC HarrisburgCarbon monoxide is known as a silent killer, because it is not only odorless, but tasteless and colorless as well.   Carbon monoxide may be leeching into your home from damaged or improperly ventilated heating systems.  There are simple steps to protect your family, but first, know the effects and symptoms!

Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to any number of tragic conditions.  This toxin can cause tissue death, including the tissue of your vital organs such as your lungs and heart.  Essentially, what happens when your home is flooded with carbon monoxide, your body begins to replace the oxygen in your cells with carbon monoxide thus leading oxygen deprivation in your brain, heart, and lungs.  In serious cases, left untreated carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.

If you think you may be experiencing the symptoms of this specific poisoning, you want to be on the lookout for headaches, dizziness, and nausea.  Extensive exposure can result in vomiting, fainting, or a feeling of tightness in your chest that makes it difficult to breathe.  Should you or a family member be experiencing ANY of these symptoms, contact a healthcare professional as soon as possible.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be treated, if caught in the early stages.  If you’ve got any doubt in your mind about the safety of your home, follow up with your doctor.  Also, follow up with your HVAC specialist as there are simple checks and precautions that he is able to perform to ensure the safety of your home. 

We can help!  We want to make sure that your family is as safe as can be with our Furnace Safety and Readiness Check-Up!  Watch the video or contact us today to learn more!



Add Your Comment (Get a Gravatar)

Get a Gravatar! Your Name

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.


For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.